chanzie

Series: Werewolf Wars #1
Publisher: Createspace
Publication Date: 26 August 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Kindle loan via Amazon (Keisha @ The Simple Things in Life)
Audio or Book: eBook
Length: 404 pages

Goodreads Synopsis:
In an attempt to save his sister, Emily, from becoming a breeder, Devon Harris defies his alpha and flees his home with his sister. His actions lay the foundation for a war between the packs. They seek refuge at his Uncle Rick's ranch, and there, he meets the fiery human Lark. In the midst of a war, does he dare let himself fall for her?

Rick Harris has been like a second father to Lark Davies since her parents died in an accident three years ago. She is the sole guardian of her younger sister and the owner of her own bakery, leaving her little time for a social life. Lark instantly feels the allure to Devon even though they are constantly at odds with each other. However, danger lurks around every corner. As Lark spends more time with the pack, she is drawn further into the werewolf world.

My Review:

This was a very spontaneous read. I won one of the mini challenges during the COYER read-a-thon in and March and received an awesome gift card from Keisha. We were chatting and since I won the gift card from her I asked her to recommend a 5 star book that she has read. This has been my new way to discover new books lately. A few days later I received Out of the Shadows via the Kindle Loan option. I am not really sure how this works (from the sending side) but I will figure it out as I think this is awesome.

Out of the shadows is an enjoyable read. There are some great unique elements to the story but also a lot of predictability. Werewolf books can sometimes be a hit and miss for me but this was not the case with Out of the Shadows. For anyone for who loves a good werewolf novel and a broody alpha male mixed with romance - this book is for you!

Characters & Story line: 3.5/5

Bethany creates good strong characters. The story line is interesting and takes you on a few emotional twists and turns.

Lark and Devon's romance was a bit predictable. Devon being the strong, brooding, wounded alpha with some issues - who keeps people at bay and Lark who is strong, compassionate and challenges him. They have a steamy and unexplainable attraction with a few steamy scenes. They definitely grow on you as the story progresses - by the last half of the book I was definitely rooting for them.

Emily and Marcus are such a sweet couple and you are rooting for them from the beginning. Vincent is one of my favourite characters - he is your lone wolf, flirty, younger (brother) wolf. He is observant, caring, cheeky and entertaining. Gene is a great character in the book. He is kind and strong. He plays a stronger part in the latter part of the book and I am really looking forward to his role in 'Into the Unknown'.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 3.5/5
Bethany has a great pace and a nice writing style. The plot was intriguing and kept you reading to see what happens next - even though the predictability did slow things down a bit for me. The ending left quite a bit to work with in the next book.

Cover talk: 3/5
The cover was OK. Once I had read the book I appreciated the cover a little bit better.

Final Thoughts:
Although I am not immediately one-clicking to buy the next sequel I am really intrigued to see Gene & Talia's story, as well as what the Gulf packs have planned for Lark and Sarah.

Favourite Quotes
"Part of being a good leader is standing up for those that can't do it themselves." ~ Lark

~
"... there are heroes out there who do random acts of kindness for others, for no reason, other than it's the right thing to do." ~ Lark

Author Bio:
I am happily married to my husband of almost nine years and have two wonderful children. I have always loved reading and writing and am thrilled to have published my first novel. Paranormal romance is my go to genre and the genre I prefer to write in. I love the unique feel of creating an entirely different world and implementing it into the human verse.

Author Links: Goodreads l Facebook l Twitter

Love

Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/05/book-review-out-of-shadows-by-bethany.html