chanzie

MWYA Book of the month
Audio or Book: Book
Length:  448 pages

Goodreads Synopsis:

In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board.

Gameboard of the Gods, the first installment of Richelle Mead’s Age of Xseries, will have all the elements that have made her YA Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series such mega-successes: sexy, irresistible characters; romantic and mythological intrigue; and relentless action and suspense.

My Review:

I was so excited to find an excuse to read this book and squeeze it into my schedule when it won my Book Of The Month poll for March. I have wanted to read Gameboard of the Gods since before it was even released!

I was a bit nervous trying out this book initially when I skimmed a few reviews and saw some positive and negative points. The book starts off interestingly enough - I was not completely captivated but very intrigued by the concepts and opening scenes.

The story is quite an adventure of the future, mixed with the gods of mythology and a some chemistry. It's exciting and keep you on your toes. Mae's journey is a unique one, where she is your strong, closed off heroine, paired up with the smart, witty, exiled Justin. Together they need to solve a string of murders, while dealing with each other.

Characters: 4.5/5

Richelle creates well rounded and likable characters. They are unique, intriguing and easy to become involved with.

Mae - Mae is a fascinating and lovable character. She takes her position as a soldier of the Republic very seriously and can seriously kick some butt! She has walls and secrets that I could not wait to unravel. I connected with Mae easily and loved her more and more as the story progressed.

Justin - Justin is a great character. I loved that he is smart, witty and observant. Justin is extremely talented. The raven voices in his mind are interesting and I was not sure where they fitted into the story, as well as the agreement he made with someone. He has an internal struggle that he is battling with and it is interesting to see how it unfolds.

I was continuously rooting for Justin and Mae. I liked them together. I cannot wait to see where there story goes in The Immortal Crown.
Tessa - Tessa is smart and observant. It is almost as if she is  Justin's protégé. She challenges Justin's skills and keeps him on his toes in a good way. She is a primitive character compared to the people who live in RUNA. I enjoyed seeing her grow and develop throughout the story.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4.5/5
There are continuously questions that get raised during the story as it unfolds. The pace is moderate but consistent. A lot of groundwork is laid, but you are kept intrigued. Richelle has grown as a writer tremendously since the VA series. I love the twists Richelle weaves in the story using Nordic mythology - this delivers a compelling story

Cover talk: 3/5 The cover is ok. I can see the connections to the story now that I have read it - but it did not really wow me at all.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this first book in the series and am super excited to see where Richelle takes the rest of the series.

Favourite Quotes
"From the way Justin stared at the city's skyline, you would've thought they were flying to some golden city in the clouds that was populated by angels and unicorns. There was an emotion she'd never seen in his eyes, an ache that was radically different from the cynical air that usually followed him around."

Author Bio

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l website

Love

Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/04/book-review-gameboard-of-gods-age-of-x.html