chanzie

Publication Date: 06 June 2012
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Source: Freebie @ Smashwords Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:
An ancient prophecy warns of a girl destined to cause the extinction of the vampire race.

So when 17-year-old Axelia falls into a sacred well filled with blood and emerges a vampire, the immortal empire believes she is this legendary destroyer. Hunted by soldiers and mercenaries, Axelia and her reluctant ally, the vampire bladesmith Lucas, must battle to survive.

How will she convince the empire that she is just an innocent teenager-turned bloodsucker and not a creature of destruction? And if she cannot, can a vampire who is afraid of bugs summon the courage to fight a nation of immortals?

My Review:
The first thing that caught me about this book was the beautiful cover. I decided to review this book because I signed up for the blog tour for book 2, which you can check out on Friday!
'What Kills me' is so easy to get into, and even easier to get sucked in - hook, line and sinker!!

Keywords in a glance: Friendship, loyalty, love, adventure

Characters: 4.5/5
Wynne creates great characters. They are easy to like & connect with. One of the small things I loved in the book, and something I got really excited about was the mention of Johannesburg and vuvuzelas! Yes, I am a South African through and through... What can I say!

Zee (Axelia) - I really liked her from the beginning. I could totally imagine being friends with her. She isn't the overly-martyred type of heroine. She is trying to figure out who she is, what she is and why this happened to her. She worries about losing her identify and her character, since the prophecy warns of some scary stuff. She doesn't become a heroine and just kick butt; you are figuring it out with her in this book. I am really excited to see where Wynne takes Zee in the books to come.

Lucas - Lucas is your typical negative anti-change & new-people type guy. I liked him anyway! Even though he was rude to Zee for most of the book and a bit of a grumpy grouch - I still rooted for him (and Zee). I think Lucas will grow into an even more beautiful character as we get to know him better,

Something I liked about Zee & Lucas is that they were not the insta-love type of couple. They have both been through so much, they didn't like each other when they first met - yet all they have is each other.

Lettie & Samira & Kiman - What great minor characters. I loved all of them to pieces. Wynne does a great job with these smaller characters and they have memorable qualities.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4.5/5
The plot in What Kills Me is original, even though it is a vampire novel. Wynne's pacing is great and her writing style is easy to follow with great flow. I could easily read more of her books.

Cover talk: 5/5 I loved the cover. The girl and pose are beautiful and I love the sea!

Final Thoughts: I am so happy I signed up for the tour and got to read this book, and I can't wait see where Wynne takes Lucas and Zee in this series.

~ Favourite Quotes ~

"You think you're being brave? You think you're being brave by giving up?" He grabbed my shoulders and shook them. I tried to push him away but he wouldn't let me go. "Choosing to survive. That is brave. So be brave. Come with me."

~
'There is no place like home." Samira shook her head. "Sorry, dear. This isn't a fairy tale. There's no happily ever after. just... ever after."~"Courage, my child, is not the absence of fear. It's the triumph over fear. It's how you handle yourself in these times, and these times are not for the weak of heart."

Author Bio:
Wynne Channing is an award-winning national newspaper reporter and young adult novelist.

She started writing horror/fantasy tales as a girl. She still has the first novel that she wrote when she was 10. It’s (unintentionally) hilarious.

Wynne loves telling stories and as a journalist, she has interviewed everyone from Daniel Radcliffe and Hugh Jackman to the president of the Maldives and Duchess Sarah Ferguson. The closest she has come to interviewing a vampire is sitting down with True Blood‘s Alexander Skarsgard (he didn’t bite).

She briefly considered calling her debut novel “Well” so then everyone would say: “Well written by Wynne Channing.”

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l Website

Love Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/04/book-review-what-kills-me-what-kills-1.html