chanzie

Tempus - Holly Lauren
Publisher: Libertine Press

Publication Date:  November 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Source: GMTA Publishing (In exchange for an honest Review)
Audio or Book: Book
Length: 362 pages

Buy it here:  Amazon & Barnes & Nobles

Goodreads Synopsis:
Chapel Ryan isn't crazy. At least, that's what she's been trying to convince herself of for most of her life. But after being hallucination-free for three years, Chapel finds herself facedown on her English classroom’s gritty linoleum floor. When she looks up, everyone around her is suspended in animation. Mouths hang open mid-yawn, feet hover mid-cross, Ms. Freeman’s arm flexes mid-sentence diagram. It's another hallucination. Or, is it?

Chapel prepares to tear herself back to reality when something happens. Something that has never happened before in any of her hallucinations--someone moves. And not just any someone—it’s the new guy with a scar over his lip and a reputation as black as his perfectly styled hair. And all of the sudden Chapel's white-knuckle grip on her life has slipped, and with it, her assurance that what she's experiencing isn't real.

My Review:

Wow what a book! Tempus is so much better than I expected - I loved this book from the beginning. The opening chapter dives right into Chapel having an hallucination, but the first one in  about 5 years. It sets the scene for the introduction of some main characters.

Characters: 5/5
Holly creates beautiful characters. They are well rounded and balanced.

Chapel - Chapel is smart, witty and genuine. I just love her, and she is easy to relate to. She puts everyone else first and is such a nice person. She doesn't have any airs or flairs about herself, even though she is a cheerleader - a position which normally comes with issues. I connected with her so easily right from the beginning.

Zay - aka Isaiah, is charming and sweet. A bit of a bad boy rep, but you meet him initially as a nice guy and hear about his past. He is such a gentleman and so sweet when it comes to Chapel. I loved Chapel's effect on him and how she changed him as much as he changed her.

Chapel and Zay just make me fuzzy and warm. I love their interactions and bantering. This 'sort of' instalove just works. It's not overly gushy and is very believable.

Gabe & Rush - Gabe is awesome. He creeps into your heart so quickly. I wasn't sure which side he was on, but I still adored him. Rush is your sarcastic & humorous character. He teases Chapel to pieces and is Zay's best bud.

Plot, Pace, Writing style:5 /5
I was drawn into the book quickly. The plot was captivating, the pace was perfect and the writing style was brilliant. Holly has created an awesome world that is easy to love and get lost in. She brings in twists you don't see coming and keeps you glued to the story. I did sort of guess the ending but wasn't disappointed

Cover talk: 5/5 I love the simplicity of the cover. It is just beautiful.

Final Thoughts: This is the best YA book I have read in a long time. I am hooked and cannot wait for the next book!

Favourite Quotes

In truth, no one knew all of her. She gave out pieces of herself here and there, but the whole of Chapel belonged to no one but Chapel. That was how she wanted it.

"I'm not playing hard to get," she said. She pushed through the gym doors, pausing on her way in. "I am hard to get." ~ Chapel & Zay
~Their conversation flowed. She liked that he asked good questions, and how he seemed to really think about his answers before giving them. He was well-traveled, well-read, well-everything. ~ Chapel~"I don't think of pain as something that can be measured. It either hurts, or is doesn't." ~ Chapel~

"Grudges are easy," he said. "Forgiveness is hard."~ Timmy

~
"Are you always this pleasant?" she asked. "Or is there something about me that just brings out the best in you?" ~ Chapel to Rush~Rush shook his head. "I ain't like your boy, all lean and mean. I like my breakfast like I like my woman.""I'm afraid to ask.""Well-rounded with a little extra meat.""Yup. Just s weird as I thought it would be."~ Chapel & Rush

Author Bio:

Holly was born and raised in a small town in North Georgia. The third of four children, Holly grew up telling stories to get herself out of—and her siblings into—trouble. When she was eight years old, she penned her first publication: a newspaper called Sunny Dayz News. While she didn’t sell any actual copies, her sympathetic grandmother did peruse through the edition at least once.
When Holly isn’t dreaming up new plotlines for her next book, she enjoys breakfasting at Picnic Café in Dahlonega, Georgia with her (handsome) husband and their two (adorable) daughters.
Author Links  Website l  Facebook l  Twitter

Goodreads Book Giveaway

Tempus

by Holly Lauren

Released January 13 2014

Giveaway ends in 3 days (March 20, 2014)

2 copies available, 1173 people requesting

giveaway details »

Enter to win

Love

Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/03/tour-book-review-giveaway-tempus-by.html