chanzie

Series: Guardian Witch #1
Publisher: Etopia Press
Publication Date: 14 September 2012
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Chelsea's Author Promotions & the Author (In exchange for an honest Review)

Goodreads Synopsis:Arianna Calin has sworn to keep the peace in Riverdale. Most of the Otherworlders prefer to haunt the Olde Town district--partying at vampire strip clubs, dining in elegant supper clubs, and inhabiting the cliffside caverns along the Mississippi. Being a cop is a tough job, but someone's gotta do it, and Ari's got her derringer, a sharp stiletto, and a few handy charms against things that hunt in the night. She's also a fire witch--a pedigree that comes in handy, since her partner's only human.

When a virtual reality drug hits the streets, people start to die, and an elusive pack of werewolves threatens the status quo. Ari and Ryan are drawn into a web of murder and evil that will lead sworn enemies to a confrontation. While the city simmers around them, Ari struggles to prevent an all-out supernatural war..

My Review:
This is the second time reading Awakening the Fire. On a special note this was the first book I ever reviewed and you could say indirectly that it helped me on my path to starting a blog!
It really is amazing how much you don't pick up the first time you read a book, and it's so great how much more you notice the next time you read it. The book starts off with an intense and intriguing scene with Ari out on patrol as the Guardian of Olde Town.

Characters 3/5
Ally creates well rounded and likable characters. There is some room for development but good grounding was formed in this book.

Ari - Ari is feisty and you can connect with her easily. I find it amazing that she survives on so little sleep! She is a great heroine - she holds her own ground and doesn't swoon and fall over when she meets the  hero of the book. I was very intrigued by her powers that are developing, and are yet to develop.

Andreas - Andreas is smooth and charming. Even in the book he doesn't fit the stereotype of your typical vampire. He plays a low key role for the first half of the book and a much bigger role in second half. He is an intriguing and interesting character. I liked this character and am eager to see how he develops further in the series.

Steffan - Steffan is your fun, friendly, fun to be around, nice guy/werewolf. He was my favourite character in the book. If Ari doesn't end up with Andreas, I hope she gives it a shot with Steffan!

Plot, Pace & Writing Style 4/5
You definitely ease into the story easily. Ally has a great easy writing style - the pace is great, the story has a very nice flow and the story has good world building.

Cover talk 3/5 - I like the cover - It's got a nice paranormal feel to it and I love the purple flames!

Final Thoughts: I will definitely continue with this series and have high hopes for it.

~ Favourite Quotes ~

"What was he last song you sang?"

"An Italian love song. Did you enjoy it?"

"Amazing"
He turned to look at her. "It was, or I was?" His voice invited a broader interpretation.
She smiled. "Both," she said, not bothering to hedge. "But who is fishing for compliments now?"
"Touché."

~

"You keep forgetting I can take care of myself."

"So you've said before. But it would be better to stay out of situations where you might have to prove it."

~

Spring was only a winter away.

Author Bio:
I write urban fantasy/supernatural mysteries. The first three novels in the series have been released and Blood and Fire is scheduled for the fall of 2013. I am currently working hard on book 5. When not writing, I read multiple genres--urban fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, romance, and I love to travel--anywhere, anytime. I live in the Midwest with my miniature pinscher Ranger within driving distance of the Mississippi River that is the setting for my books.

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l website

Love

Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-review-awakening-fire-guardian.html