chanzie

Publication Date: 18 October 2011
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Discovery: Goodreads YA Gang series read of the month

Goodreads Synopsis:
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Previous reviews of series:
Daimon (#0.5 Covenant)

My Review:
I have heard many good things about Jennifer's writing and her other series (Lux series). Just like with Clockwork Angel, I grabbed the opportunity read this series!

I like that it opens with some pronunciations. Sometimes I read a word and have no clue how to read let alone pronounce it. Half-Blood picks up right where Daimon ends. The scene and feeling has been set for the book perfectly.
The beginning of this book feels very similar to vampire academy. (And I am not the only blogger to comment on this) This aspect disappointed me initially but when the book started taking it's own turns I was a bit more relieved. Although some of the twists were a little predictable, it was not necessarily a bad aspect of the book.

Characters: 4/5
Lexie - Lexie is a likable character from the start. She is a bit stubborn and her arrogance annoyed me a little bit - Its her biggest weakness. Otherwise her wittiness and wilder side is great in the book. I was happy that she didn't always behave recklessly. Sometimes she followed the advice given to her and considered others and how they would be affected by her actions.

Aiden - Aiden initially comes across as guarded. I was so happy when he did slip up and some of his fun side came out with out with Lexie. She brings out a great side of him and I can see them breaking all the rules if their relationship ever develops further in the books. He is a great sweet and awesome character

Caleb - Caleb is Lexie's best friend. He is friendly, accepting and supportive. Someone Lexie can completely trust and the type of friend that will be there through thick and thin. He really brings a great aspect to the story. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Seth/Apollyon - Straight up Seth is my favourite character in this series! Jennifer only introduces him about half way through the book. He has a brilliant sense of humor and come backs when bantering with Lexie. He definitely has a strong presence. I think he and Lexie would be an awesome explosive couple. Seth probably made the book for me and it's the reason I will keep on with this series.

Seth & Aiden are great characters and Lexie would be great with both but I am totally #TeamSeth. I am hoping some big things come from their bond. Aiden is awesome and sweet and a great character, but my heart belongs to Seth.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 3/5
Jennifer has a great writing style. Although the plot was initially a bit the same as VA, she picks up the pace and makes it her own about half way through the book.

Cover talk: 5/5
I love the cover of this book! I actually love all the covers... no contest here, simplicity can sometimes take the cake.

Final Thoughts:  A good read and I will be continuing with this series.

~ Favourite Quotes ~

You need to know about love. The things people will do for love. All truths come down to love, do they not? One way or another, they do.

~
Then there is need and fate. That is a different type. Need covers itself with love, but need ... need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see.
~
I glanced back at the wall of weapons. I wasn't even allowed to touch them, and now he was going to let me actually practice with them. It was like graduating kindergarden. hell, it was like Christmas Eve.
~
People do the damndest thing when they're in love, Alex. Look at what your mother did. It's a different kind of love, but she left everything because she loved you.

Author Bio:
All the rumors you heard about her state aren’t true.

Well, mostly. When she's not hard at work writing, she spends her time, reading, working out, watching zombie movies, and pretending to write.

She is the author of the Covenant Series (Spencer Hill Press), the Lux Series (Entangled Teen), Don't Look Back (Disney/Hyperion) and a yet untitled novel (Disney/Hyperion), and new YA paranormal series with Harlequin Teen.

Jennifer also writes New Adult and Adult romance under the pen name J. Lynn. The Gamble Brothers Series (Tempting the Best Man/Tempting the Player) and Wait for You. Under her pen name, she is published with Entangled Brazen and HarperCollins.

Author LinksGoodreads l Twitter l Website

Love

Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-review-half-blood-covenant-1-by.html