chanzie

First book published in 2011
She has published 2 books so far
Website: www.laurajanecassidy.com

Why did I choose this Book/Source?:
This book was part of a trolley dash I won through Exclusive Books in 2011. I chose it as anything with the term Angel in the title is likely to catch my 'paranormal' attention.

What is the book about:
'The dead dont talk. Unless they have a secret to tell...'

Jacki King and her mom move from Dublin to Avarna, a small village in Italy. They are living temporarily in a caravan while their new home is being renovated. Jacki is your typical 15 year old teenage girl adjusting to a new life; she loves music and her iPod. She is missing Dublin, but slowly starts making new friends. She makes friends with the artistic boy Colin who also happens to be gay, Emily who is feisty and fun, and Nick, gorgeous yet unavailable.

Shortly after moving to Avarna, Jacki finds a mysterious letter in their post box, addressed to the previous owner. When Jacki starts getting intense headaches and nightmares, her mom stresses and send her to the doctor, as her dad died a few years ago from a brain tumour. The doctor then advises she sees a healer before any diagnoses are made. Jacki's headaches are followed by strange visions, voices and signs.

Jacki refuses to believe that something paranormal is happening. But then she hears about the unsolved murder that happened in the village years before...

My Review:
The part I enjoy most about Laura's writing is that it is very modern, and she includes relevant, current subjects. She captures how teenagers act today, what they wear, and refers to current bands like Paramore and Metallica. It helps me to relate and connect more to the story; I could picture what she was describing and hear the music to go with it. (Since I also love my iPod and take it with me everywhere).

The pace of the story is perfect. I found this a very young read, Laura's writing isn't very deep and the chemistry she creates isn't very captivating -  but it's still enjoyable. Colin is definitely my favourite character in the story - his quirkiness and the 'bff' role had me giggling whenever he was around, though I could still relate to and enjoy Jacki's journey.
Yes, I would read her 2nd book, Eighteen Kisses, just to see where the story goes, and how Jacki grows and handles all the new aspects of her life that she discovers during Angel Kiss. A good, easy read.
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-review-angel-kiss-by-laura-jane.html