chanzie

Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 12 February 2012
Genre: Romance, Historical Fiction

A little bit about Author
Works as a reference librarian
Has 4 published novels
Is an award-winning sports writer and newspaper editor

Why did I choose this book/Source?
This was a review request from the Author - I received the book in exchange for an honest review. I was intrigued by the time-travel description in the blurb, plus this was my first official Author Review Request.

What is the book about?
In May 2000, Joel Smith is a cocky, adventurous young man who sees the world as his playground. But when the college senior, just days from graduation, enters an abandoned Montana mine, he discovers the price of reckless curiosity. He emerges in May 1941 with a cell phone he can't use, money he can't spend, and little but his wits to guide his way. Stuck in the age of Whirlaway, swing dancing, and a peacetime draft, Joel begins a new life as the nation drifts toward war. With the help of his 21-year-old trailblazing grandmother and her friends, he finds his place in a world he knew only from movies and books. But when an opportunity comes to return to the present, Joel must decide whether to leave his new love in the past or choose a course that will alter their lives forever. THE MINE is a love story that follows a humbled man through a critical time in history as he adjusts to new surroundings and wrestles with the knowledge of things to come

My Review:
I was not sure what to expect when I started reading this book and maybe that was a good thing as this book blew me away. It tugged at my heart strings, had me choking back some tears and I was utterly absorbed in Joel's story of when he landed up in 1941. (This book is part of a series but  each book can be read as a stand-alone as well)

Characters 4/5
Joel - I loved Joel! He is sweet, charming, caring and very mature for his 'age' in the book. Joel's reaction to landing up in 1941 was a bit too mellow for me to comprehend in the beginning, but this showed how level headed he was. I would have panicked a bit more, yet I liked the way he bounced back when his plans didn't work out, and that he truly considered the consequences because of his knowledge of  what could 'muck things up for multitudes'. The predicaments he was in had me contemplating and discussing the scenario with my hubby most of the weekend! Sometimes I wondered if Joel missed his parents/friends at all? I didn't pick up in any sadness or homesickness at all until the very end.

Grace - I adored Grace. She is a beautiful sweet 1940's girl who surprises you and you fall in love with her every step in the story. I love how she truly brought out the best in Joel. She has a heart of gold and is such an amazing character.

Tom, Ginny & Katie - I loved this little group. I don't know if I would have been able to say good bye to Tom if I were Joel knowing what he knew; or interact with Ginny knowing who she was or would be in my future. Katie played more of a background role to the end but is a real sweetheart throughout the book -  she is that friend that would never judge you for your secrets or actions and is a true friend until the end.

Plot & writing style  4/5
It's a sweet and easy read. No real action or twists until the end, but a good romance that you can get completely lost in. Nothing intense or steamy but perfectly set for the 1940's. The story has a moderate pace. This is a book that tugged at my heart strings and had me choking back tears quite a bit. I was not crazy about the cover but this is a series I will definitely keep on reading.
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/09/book-review-giveaway-mine-northwest.html