chanzie

Publisher: Patchwork Press
Publication Date: 01 May 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy

A little bit about Author
Wrote her first story when she was 10.
She has a Ph.D in counselling psychology
Is a Professor at a Texas University
LG Castillo on Facebook

Why did I choose this book/Source:
I found this book on an Author Promotions Program I belong to (NetGalley). I was drawn to the cover and the paranormal angel story line.

What is the book about?:
Decades after being banished from Heaven for saving a life he shouldn't have saved, Lash is given a chance to redeem himself. His mission: protect Naomi Duran, a young woman who has lost her faith. The assignment proves to be anything but simple when his superiors, the Archangels, withhold key information about Naomi and refuse to restore Lash’s powers. When an unexpected source reveals centuries-old secrets, his trust is shaken to the core, and he begins to doubt those whom he had once considered to be his greatest allies.

Determined to avoid anything that would risk his chances of returning to Heaven, Lash struggles with the greatest obstacle of all—his growing feelings for Naomi. But when her life is threatened by an unknown source, Lash questions the wisdom of the Archangels and his ability to keep her safe.

Soon, Lash will have to choose where to place his faith—in the home he has fought so hard to regain or in the forbidden love he can’t bear to lose.

My Review:
This was a nice refreshing read. I have read quite a few paranormal angel books, some brilliant and others predictable. This was a sweet romance, very slow at first as they fight the attraction for each other but it's a great paced romance and not drawn out.

Characters
Lash - I liked that Lash was a balanced character - not overly arrogant or bitter. I enjoyed his whole story of falling in love with Naomi and the battles he had weighing on his heart. Lash is definitely swoon-worthy. (Nothing like a dark-haired hunk being your protector). I really enjoyed his interactions with Naomi from the sweet tender points to the sarcastic flirting and fun parts.

Naomi - I liked that Naomi was such a good caring person. I couldn't help but like her from the beginning. You felt her pain, and Castillo really helps you connect with her on so many levels. I also enjoyed that she didn't immediately fall all over Lash. She is a strong independent woman who puts her family first.

Welita - She was my favorite character in this story. I loved her like you would your own grandmother. She was sweet and I loved her Spanish essence. From the beginning she crawled into my heart and made herself comfy. I really appreciated her faith and love for the greater good.

Plot & Writing style 3.5/5
I enjoyed the plot. It was refreshing and not overly predictable. It had a "Fallen" by Lauren Kate feel for me, but that is not a bad thing as I absolutely loved that series. I think this series has a lot of potential and I am eager to see where the next book goes. Castillo knows how to write a story - It had a great pace, and she created some really memorable characters. The only reason I haven't rated it a 4 star is that it just needed a little more intensity for me.

Cover 3/5
I loved the sort of grey, black and white picture element. The cover does suit the story perfectly. It was the cover which initially caught my attention and had me requesting this book.

This was a great read and I am so glad I requested it. Ultimately I will be reading the rest of this trilogy.

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/10/book-review-lash-broken-angel-1-by-lg.html