chanzie

Publication Date: 25 November 2011
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
A little bit about Author
Born in Baltimore, now lives in Florida
Labels herself a self-proclaimed littel pixie
Has loved mermaids since the age of 2
website: http://karenamandahooper.com/

Why did I choose this book/Source?:
I chose this book as part of an Author Promotions Program I belong to (NetGalley). The blurb sounded good but the cover sold it for me.

What is the book about:
Yara Jones doesn't believe in sea monsters - until she becomes one. When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins, Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies. Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life. The merfolk want something far more precious.

Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer, will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people - until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself, hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart. She could lose her soul in the process - or she might open the gateway to a love that's deeper than the oceans.

My Review:

The opening chapters seemed a bit unrealistic. After the first few chapters I did I really start enjoying the book. I really enjoyed the way the chapters are set out and how every time the POV  - changes it has the character name and a picture. It makes it much easier and simpler to follow the story. I enjoyed the play on words like C-weed and seagarette.

Characters 4/5Yara - In the beginning Yara is bit naive and bratty. Her stubbornness really irritated me, where she just wanted to do her own thing all the time instead of learning how to be a mermaid. Then when she gets attacked she is scared because she doesn't know anything! Annoying, selfish and bratty! After the attack, I felt Yara became more likable and I started to connect with her and really enjoy the story. She transformed into a worthy heroine, and when it all came together I fell in love with this series.

Treygan - At first Treygan comes across as bit arrogant and rude, as well as patient and tolerant. I really enjoyed Treygan's journey and his transformation, where he started being honest with himself about his feelings. I liked Treygan from the beginning - he is my favorite character in this series.

Rownan - Initially I really didn't like Rownan. He  came across as fake and heartless. He started dating Yara because of her important role and pretended to love her. As the story unfolded, I did soften up to him and appreciated his sacrifices and role in Tangled Tides.

Plot, Writing style: 3.5/5
The plot was intriguing and I liked that it was not predictable. Karen writes really well and paced the story perfectly. Except for the beginning, which seemed a bit unrealistic and maybe dove too deep with no grounding, Karen built the story beautifully.

Cover: 5/5
I loved this cover. It grabbed my attention from the beginning and is one of the most awesome covers I have seen for some time.

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/10/book-review-tangled-tides-by-karen.html