chanzie

Tour Stop and Book Review: My Name is Bryan by Stacy L Carroll

Publisher: Pink Frog Press
Publication Date: 14 September 2014
Genre: Fictional Biography / inspirational fiction
Source: I am a Reader (In exchange for an honest Review)
Format: Ebook
Length: 390 pages

Overview:

If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you jump too? Bryan chose to dive. Moments later, as he lay on the beach, unable to move his arms or legs, two questions ran through his mind: Would he walk again? And would he ever have kids? Based on the incredible true story of life, love, and never giving up.

My Review:

I chose this book (even though I am totally not supposed to be signing up for tours) because when I read the summary it struck a cord and I knew I just had to read this story. I actually didn't realise how close to home it would hit until I opened it up and got drawn into the story.

I love inspirational stories that carry hope and a happy ending. That is exactly what My name is Bryan is about. A boy who became a man and someone who beat the odds and never gave up hope. I finished this book in record time. Every chance I picked it up to carry on reading Bryan's story.

When I was 16, two of my friends were in a car accident. One didn't make it and the other broke his back in 3 places. As I was reading what Bryan went through in the hospital, I realised how much more my friend and his family must have gone through. I remember visiting him a few times in ICU after school and playing him music while we waited for him to regain consciousness. Unfortunately he did not recover completely but he is still here with us today. He is full of life and still has his fantastic sense of humor.

I loved how Stacy took us through Bryan's life from childhood, through Bryan's recovery and how he got to where he is today. My heart ached and swelled with emotion throughout the journey. She gave us just enough at each stage. The pictures at the end had me sniffing and holding back tears as I saw the real people behind the characters.

Another character that deserves special praise and mention is Nedra. What a wonderful, strong, beautiful, committed woman. Her strength, determination and love for Bryan and her family is truly inspirational.

Cover talk: 5/5 I loved the cover - it is perfect!

Final Thoughts: This is an amazing book and one that I am so happy I squeezed into my schedule. Stacy has inspired me and reminded me why I need to continue writing my own story. You never know who's life life you will touch and how you can help others just by sharing your own story. Bryan is a man I would love to meet if I ever had the opportunity.

Author Stacy Lynn Carroll
Stacy Lynn Carroll has always loved telling stories. She started out at Utah State University where she pursued a degree in English. Go Aggies! She then finished her BA at the University of Utah (to be closer to her then boyfriend, now hubby) where she got an emphasis in creative writing. After college she worked as an administrative assistant, where she continued to write stories for the amusement of her co-workers. When her first daughter was born, and with the encouragement of a fortune cookie, she quit her job and became a full-time mommy and writer. It seemed like fate when Matt and Stacy married. She was a writer, and her father-in-law had a story that demanded to be written. She and her husband have three children, two Corgis, and a fish named Don.

Website * Twitter * Pinterest * Facebook

Love

Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/11/tour-stop-and-book-review-my-name-is.html