chanzie

Source: Bought
Audio or Book: Paperback
Length: 448 pages

Overview:
Elena Michaels is a werewolf. She tries to be human, but the man whose bite changed her existence forever, and his legacy, continue to haunt her. Thrown into a desperate war for survival that tests her allegiance to a secret clan of werewolves, Elena must reconsider who and what she is.

My Review:

This was one of those books I bought on a whim... I was at the book exchange and I had some credit that I needed to use up before I lost it. I have heard so many good things about Kelley Armstrong so I just added it to my ever increasing TBR pile. While browsing some blogs that night I saw a great review on The Geeky Bloggers Book Blog.Yay... A good reference.. So I added it to my Book of the Month Poll for June. Then Niki @ The Obsessive Bookseller totally convinced me I needed to read this book soon.... And it won book of the month.... See it was all meant to be! I was shocked when I got to the end of the book about discovered that this was Kelley's first novel.. wow really??? It was so well written, if I didn't read it for myself at the end of the book I'm not sure I would have believed it.

This book is amazing. It is filled with love, friendship, heartbreak, adventure and fun! If you love werewolf books... this one is for you! As far as I can tell all the books in this series can be read as stand alone novels.

Characters & Storyline: 4/5

Kelly creates well rounded and interesting characters.

Elena -  Elena is an outcast trying to fit into the human world.  I like love her to bits. What I loved most about her is that she is not perfect! She is strong, broody and unpredictable. She is not an anti-heroine but she has so many flaws and resists what she thinks doesn't work for her around every bend. She grows throughout the story and I was throwing a party when she realised what she needed to realise without compromising herself - if that makes any sense without giving away any spoilers. There were times when I wanted to smack her over the head when it came to Clay but the journey was worth it.

Clay - Clay Clay Clay... Clay is awesome! He is who he is and he feels how he feels and that's it! He is one of those characters that just made the story for me. By the end of it he became my favourite character. He is so devoted to Elena and such a wild card. If I haven't convinced you to read this book... read it to meet Clay.

Jeremy, Nick, Antonia, Logan, Peter - (The Pack) - What a beautiful bunch of characters. They each add their own flavours to the story. I would have liked to get to know Logan a bit better but alas his role in the story is one that drove the plot further.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4/5

There is no doubt Kelley writes well and is brilliant at world building.  I enjoyed the history Kelley includes of this story. Her plot was exciting and she tugs at your heart strings with heartbreaking and tender moments. The pace was a little bit slow at some places but Kelley used this to fill us in with some of Elena's past.

The ending was perfect. I love it. The only sad part to me is that there is no Clay and Elena in the next book. Or not from what I can tell in the blurb of book 2.

Cover talk: 3/5

The cover is OK. It was the colour and the font that drew me to the book in the first place.

Final Thoughts:

This was an awesome read and I will definitely be looking into reading the rest of this series.

Favourite Quotes

'You know, I couldn't imagine living somewhere without seasons.'

'Yeah?'

'Real seasons, I mean.I couldn't live without spring. Days like today are worth every snowstorm and slush puddle. By March, it seems like winter will never end. All that snow and ice that seemed so wonderful in December is driving you crazy. But you know spring is coming. Every year, you wait for that first warm day, then the next and the next, each better than the last. You can't help but be happy. You forget winter and get the chance to start over. Fresh possibilities.''A fresh start.''Exactly.'~ Elena & Clay

Author Bio:

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked away in her basement writing dungeon. She's the author of the NYT-bestselling "Women of the Otherworld" paranormal suspense series and "Darkest Powers" young adult urban fantasy trilogy, as well as the Nadia Stafford crime series. Armstrong lives in southwestern Ontario with her husband, kids and far too many pets.

Author Links: Gooreads l Website l Twitter

Love

Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/06/book-review-bitten-woto-1-by-kelley.html