chanzie

Mean Who You Are

Book Review (ARC) & Character Interview: Scala (Angelbound #2) by Christina Bauer

Scala (Angelbound 2) - Christina Bauer

Series: Angelbound #2
Publisher: Ink Monster
Publication Date: 13 May 2014
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Source: Author (In exchange for an honest Review)
Audio or Book: eBook
Length: 52K Word Novella

Overview:
Nineteen-year-old Myla Lewis has transformed into Great Scala, the only being with the power to move souls out of Purgatory and into Heaven or Hell. Trouble is, a magical object called Lucifer’s Orb is limiting Myla’s abilities. If she tries to move a soul, the Orb’s forcing her to send that spirit straight to Hell.

So, what’s a girl to do? Send innocents to the fiery down-under?

No way. Myla’s gone on a supernatural strike. No souls go anywhere until the Orb’s history. It’s the right thing to do, but Purgatory’s Soul Storage buildings are turning into time bombs. No spirits are moving out, while millions keep coming in. Myla’s determined to find the Orb and send the innocent to Heaven, but she’s running out of time. Soon, the containment fields will burst, releasing a mob of homicidal ghosts.

With Soul Storage ready to explode, Myla’s got enough on her plate without her old enemy, Lady Adair, causing problems. Adair is launching an ingenious campaign to take away everything that Myla holds dear, including Myla’s Angelbound love, Prince Lincoln.

Between their clever ideas and toe-curling kisses, Myla and Lincoln are fighting back. But will they beat the clock or lose everything to Adair’s devious schemes?

Previous reviews:
Angelbound #1

My Review:
I have been so excited for the release of Scala ever since I read Angelbound in December! I received a personal email from Christina with an ARC of Scala. *excited* She is so awesome! Christina even agreed to arrange an interview with Queen Octavia, who I managed to meet on such short notice.

Honestly upfront.. I think Scala was even better than Angelbound - even if it was shorter. Yes, I wish there was more... but the quality was brilliant.

Scala picks up where Angelbound ended. Christina quickly draws you in quickly starting with an emergency at one of the ghost towers and a confrontation with Adair.

Characters & Story line: 5/5

The characters were well rounded and easy to love (or hate.. Sorry Adair.. but you fill that role!).

Myla & Lincoln - Myla, the main character, is as spunky & awesome as ever. I definitely think I enjoyed her role more this time round. She is your typical teenager with so much more to deal with than the average quazi in purgatory. She is one kick-ass character. Lincoln is one of those characters just gets better & better. He is totally swoon worthy. Lincoln and Myla make such a great team. Through all their obstacles, (and there are a few), they stick together so well. Their romantic moments are steamy and I enjoy how Lincoln has come to accept Myla so completely.

Adair - Grrrr.... Adair just irritates & annoys me. Christina really had my emotions going when it came to Adair. I really tried to feel sorry for her but geez... she just got my blood boiling most of the time! Guess that is what makes a good villain right...

Walker - I still love Walker to bits!

Myla's parents - they are just so awesome. Funny, smart and back Myla up all the way! I really enjoyed her Dad's ways and thinking. I laughed at the idea of Heaven being run like a Military!

The Igni - these little beings are so cute, that they deserve their own special mention!!! I love them and I love how Myla is so attached to them. I think in a way the remind me of minions and I love minions!!!

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4.5/5
Christina has grown as a writer and I enjoy the humor she brings to her writing. Her purgatory world building is amazing. The plot is captivating and the pace is good. The only reason it is not a 5/5 is that I wish the book was a bit longer. And to round it all up, it had a really sweet ending.

Cover talk: 5/5 I love that cover! It really shows a different side to Myla.

Final Thoughts: This is a great addition to the series and I cannot wait to see where things go for Myla & Lincoln.

Favourite Quotes

"We take out our baculum, igniting the silver rods as long-swords made of angelfire. Once the flames begins to crackle, the threads of my Scala robes instantly realign into white battle armor. I have to admit, dynamic robe re-alignment is one of the cooler benefits of being the Great Scala." ~ Myla
~
"As the Great Scala and Lincoln's Angelbound love, everyone's heard of me but few have actually met me. My tail alternates between waving at the guards and doing karate-style chops. That thing can be such a smart-ass sometimes."            ~ Myla
~
Dad raises his pointer finger, pauses, and looks over his shoulder. "Please stop petting my wings, ma'am." ~ Xavier

~ Character Interview:
Queen Octavia ~

Hello Everyone! Today, I’m pleased to interview Octavia, the Queen of the demon-fighting thrax from Christina Bauer’s series Angelbound.

Octavia: Thank you for inviting me here, Chene. I rarely converse with humans these days. It’s a bit of a treat.

Chene: For my readers who aren't familiar with the Angelbound series, can you please introduce yourself?
Octavia: I am Octavia, the Queen of the demon-fighting thrax. Excuse me dear, are your readers human?
Chene: Why yes, they are.
Octavia: Well, then. I suppose a little more context may be required. Most humans are unaware that demons exist all around them, undetected. For instance, a pack of Screecher Crows may look like a rainstorm, that kind of thing. My people, the thrax, are part angel, so we see demons for what they are. And as long as the Hell-spawn stay away from mortals, we've no quarrel with them. But if the demons cause trouble, then we dispatch them. And they always cause trouble.

Chene: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Octavia: I’ll start with the basics. I live deep underground on Earth, in a land called Antrum, where all true thrax live. I was raised a warrior in the House of Gurith until I was eighteen, when I met the High Prince of the thrax, fell in love, and became Queen. Simple as that, really.

Chene: How does it feel to be published?
Octavia: Miss Bauer has done an admirable job of capturing the inner journey of Myla Lewis, my son’s Angelbound love. Our world is rather complex and not well understood, so it’s helpful for humans to start to realize the role that we play in their lives. However, I do wish she’d cut back on some of the more lusty sides of Myla’s thoughts. There are some things a mother doesn’t need to know.

Chene: What is your favourite motivational phrase.
Octavia: Take the offensive and never let go. It’s one of the first things one learns as a thrax warrior.

Chene: What is your favourite book and why?
Octavia: The Art of War by Sun Tzu. One of my ancestors was consulted for the chapter on Attack by Stratagem.

Chene: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Octavia: You’re doing a good job, I suppose. Providing advice assumes my choices were less than perfection. I’m not one to question previous decisions, my dear.

Chene: Tell us 3 random things about yourself?
Octavia: Let’s see. First, I enjoy a small glass of Angelflower wine before I go to sleep. Second, there’s nothing more important to me than the happiness of my son, Lincoln. And third? Ah. I have one. I can still snap a grown man’s neck in three seconds or less. After all, I may be Queen, but I’m still a warrior at heart. Was that satisfactory?

Chene: :::Scooches chair a little father away from Octavia::: More than. Thank you ever so much.
Octavia: You’re most welcome, child.

Author Bio:
Christina graduated from Syracuse University’s Newhouse School with BA’s in Television, Radio and Film Production and English. An avowed girl geek, Christina loves creating immersive fantasy worlds with action, adventure, romance, and kick-ass female protagonists. As part of her work in Ink Monster, Christina has co-developed the ‘Heroine’s Journey,’ a blueprint for telling female myths inspired by the work of Joseph Campbell. She lives in Newton, MA with her husband, son and golden retriever Ruby

Author Links: Website l Blog l Facebook l Twitter l Pinterest l Amazon Author PageGoodreads

Love

Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/05/book-review-arc-character-interview.html