chanzie

Publication Date: 15 November 2011
Genre: Paranormal Romance, YA
MWYA Book of the Month Read

Overview:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

My Review

I have been quite excited to read this book with all the reviews going around with the final book in this series being released lately. So when it won Book of the month for April I was so excited to squeeze this book in some where and trust me I almost didn't with life getting a bit crazy and I have been in a slow reading phase.

Shatter me feels a bit like a book I read a while ago - Branded. The whole captive/soldier romance feel. Fair enough Shatter me was released before then but I read Branded first so the first book gets the love right?

So the story starts out when you meet the main characters that are locked up in a mental asylum. This book was not quite what I expected initially. You only get introduced to the characters names a few chapters in and it took me a while to get into the writing style of the character's POV.

One thing that annoyed me a little bit is she uses the word shatter too many times.

Characters & Storyline: 3/5
The characters are likable and it is very easy to take sides.

Juliette - Ok first of all I love that name for the Main character!!! She has such a unique POV and it took me a while to slip into the writing style that Mafi takes. I liked Juliette instantly and she is very different. I think Juliette is the master if avoiding answering questions and she has strangest descriptions. Her thoughts are a it staccato and she does come across a little bit crazy - even though you realise she is just very damaged and I think I would be too if I went through what she went through!

Adam - Such a simple name but I enjoyed the introduction even if he did come across as a bit of a jerk in the beginning. I grew to love him more and more as the adventure continued. At this point I think he makes the story for me more than Juliette.

Warner - what an evil twists man - he is one of those bad guys you just love. Although I initially didn't like Warner - eventually I warmed up to him being that evil guy you just don't why you like.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 3/5

The plot and pace were good and the writing style was very different. I was so happy the ending wasn't a cliffhanger but there is so much Tahereh can work with in the rest of the series.

Cover talk: 5/5

I loved this cover! It is initially what drew me to the book and what made me want to read it without even reading the blurb.

Final Thoughts:
I think I went in expecting too much from this book. Although I enjoyed it and will continue with the series, it was not as wow to me as I hoped it would be. It definitely still is an enjoyable read!

Favourite Quotes
"Hate looks just like everybody else until it smiles. Until it spins around and lies with lips and teeth carved into the semblance of something too passive to punch." ~ Juliette
"Hope is a pocket of possibility. I'm holding it in my hand." ~ Juliette
~
"He's wrong he's so wrong he's more wrong than an upside-down rainbow. But everything he said is right." ~ Juliette
~
"You think I don;t have a heart? You think I don't feel? You think that because I can inflict pain, that I should? You're just like everyone else. You think I'm a monster just like everyone else. You don't know understand me at all -" ~ Juliette
~
"Everyone says I talk a lot." He shrugged. "But what am I supposed to do when I have much to say?" ~ James
~
"I'm staring at him staring at James. I wonder if he knows he's holding my heart in his hand. i take a shaky breath. Adam looks up and i look down and we're both embarrassed for different reasons." ~ Juliette

Author Bio:
Tahereh Mafi is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the SHATTER ME series. She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Santa Monica, California, where she drinks too much caffeine and finds the weather to be just a little too perfect for her taste. When unable to find a book, she can be found reading candy wrappers, coupons, and old receipts. SHATTER ME is her first novel.

Foreign rights have sold in 25+ territories to-date and film rights have been optioned by 20th Century Fox.

Her work is represented by Jodi Reamer of Writers House, LLC.
Author Links: Website l Goodreads Twitter

Love

Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/05/book-review-shatter-me-by-tahereh-mafi.html