chanzie

Series: What Kills me #2
Publisher: Jet & Jack Press
Publication Date: 31 January 2014
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy
Source: Dark World Books (In exchange for an honest Review)

Goodreads Synopsis:
Axelia fought an army of vampires and survived. Once fated as the destroyer of the vampire race, she is now welcomed into the immortal empire and revered as a god.

But instead of relishing her victory, she faces a dangerous new world and an empire at war. Axelia is thrust into the position of supreme vampire and caught in the crossfire of battle. To make matters worse, her role alienates Lucas, the one vampire that she trusts.

Her choices have brutal consequences and her power spawns evil enemies. And they know how to get to her — by hurting those whom she loves most.

Bestselling author Wynne Channing's highly-anticipated sequel to What Kills Me is another heart-pounding thrill ride filled with stunning twists, tragic betrayal and bloody action.

~ Guest Post ~

Great Expectations:
Managing the Fear With Your Second Novel
by Wynne Channing

Seriously cannot wait!!! I haven't been this excited for a book in years!”

“The wait for I Am Forever is going to kill me!"
Two things happen when I see these messages from readers on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
One: An explosion of joy lights me up.
Two: The joy is suddenly replaced by cold, stomach-turning fear.

I am so gratified by people’s love for What Kills Me. Having said that, I’m also terrified of disappointing the fans because I wrote the sequel, I Am Forever, for them.

When I wrote What Kills Me, I had no expectations for it. The fact that tens of thousands of readers went on the action adventure and it became a best-selling paranormal novel on Amazon was a wonderful surprise. But writing I Am Forever was extra challenging because in the back of my mind, I wanted to make readers happy.

To break through my anxiety, I came up with some simple advice for myself — which I think can be transferred to any situation where you are afraid of doing something or disappointing others.

You can’t make everyone happy. But make sure that you are happy. Managing other people’s expectations of you is a losing game. You can’t control others. But you can control yourself. So satisfy your needs and your own expectations. I Am Forever is a lot more complex than the first. The characters have greater challenges and all of the stakes are higher. I spent more time exploring their relationships and the story. I feel great about this adventure.

Know that you’ll handle it. What is the worst case scenario? (All of my readers throw stinky cheese at me after reading I Am Forever.) Can you deal with that? (Yeah, I guess. I like stinky cheeses, especially with grapes and crackers.) Then breathe a little easier. You will be fine.

You tried your very best. Fear that you won’t write the very best words often leads to writer’s block. But I forged ahead. Even when my mind was blank. Even when I thought I was spewing garbage. I put words on the paper. That’s the beauty of rewriting. Just take the risk and get it out there. You can always fix things after — something is better than nothing.

Jump in. You won’t know what will happen unless you do it. Whatever happens, be proud that you had the courage to jump.

Tell us about fear that you overcame or share something that you’re nervous to do.

Love Wynne

~MWYA's Review ~

Previous Reviews in series:
What Kills Me #1

My Review:

What a book! In my opinion the Monarchy is too trusting and accommodating when it comes to Zee, and I don't trust the Empress at all. I feel she submitted too quickly and there was something that just had me on edge, right from the beginning.

Characters: 4/5

Wynne really develops the characters beautifully throughout 'I am Forever.' She brings in new people, develops the main characters brilliantly and brings in a few twists as well.

Zee - Zee starts off still quite naive. After everything she has been through, you would think she would be a little more wary; however, I can understand her need for trust, safety and security. Zee really grows throughout this book and finally comes into her own. I was really happy with her progress and ability to piece together some things in a good time span for a MC.

Lucas - Lucas is so stubborn! Initially I wanted to shake him and tell him to fight a little harder for Zee. I was so happy when he played a bigger role from the middle of the story. He still remains one of my favourite characters, and I was so happy with his journey overall.

San - San is awesome!! I loved his role and his connection to Zee. I was worried this might turn into a triangle, but was relieved with the way the story turned out. He is savvy, funny and such a great loyal friend right until the end to Zee. San is my favourite character in this book!

Uther - If there was one character I felt really sorry for it was Uther. He is really such a great character. He cares for Zee like an older brother/father and he truly believes in the cause. He is one of those faithful innocents.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 4/5
I felt the story started off a bit slow, but it gained momentum from the middle of the book. I would have liked a quickerpace, but I can appreciate the build up. Wynne created a great plot - I was not always sure where she was taking the story and that was a good thing! Her writing style is easy to follow. I really liked how she weaves in the title into her books.

Cover talk: 5/5

I loved this cover. It is catching and so relevant when you see how it fits into the story.

Final Thoughts:  This is a great series and I really cannot wait for the next instalment.

My Rating:

Books in the series:

~ Favourite Quotes ~

"Don not underestimate the power of caring. all anyone needs is the will to make a difference and she can move the earth." ~ Uther

~
'My city had changed. No. That wasn't it. I had changed and the city looked different." ~ Zee

~ Giveaway ~

GRAND PRIZE: A stunning ballpoint pen filled with more than 100 pink crystals, a black leather note book by Canadian designer Jessica Jensen, an ecopy of I Am Forever (Book Two in the What Kills Me series) and a signed What Kills Me bookmark.

Author Bio:
Wynne Channing is an award-winning national newspaper reporter and young adult novelist.
She started writing horror/fantasy tales as a girl. She still has the first novel that she wrote when she was 10. It’s (unintentionally) hilarious.
Wynne loves telling stories and as a journalist, she has interviewed everyone from Daniel Radcliffe and Hugh Jackman to the president of the Maldives and Duchess Sarah Ferguson. The closest she has come to interviewing a vampire is sitting down with True Blood‘s Alexander Skarsgard (he didn’t bite).
She briefly considered calling her debut novel “Well” so then everyone would say: “Well written by Wynne Channing.”

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter Website

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/04/book-review-tour-giveaway-i-am-forever.html