chanzie

Publication Date: 27 March 2007
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Birthday Gift / Purchase

Goodreads Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

My Review:
I have been wanting to read City of Bones since about October last year, when I read the Infernal Devices. I subsequently bought the entire set of Mortal Instruments Books in December!

Reading this book was great, I did watch the movie first so at times it was tough to read about different events and see things happen in different places but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Characters: 5/5
Cassandra knows how to create great characters. The good ones are nice, the snarky ones are awesome and the bad ones wind you up. I love the humor she brings into the scenes as well.

Clary - I like her from the start. Clary is easy to connect with and she is smart. Sometimes she can't see what is right in front of her but she keeps it together and is determined to find her mom.

Simon - Simon is Clary's best friend and I love his humor and optimism. He is an awesome character. He is so witty and kept me laughing throughout the book. I really enjoy the comfortableness that is there in his friendship with Clary.

Jace - I love his snarky and badass wit. He is smart, brave and just a great character. On the surface he is serious, honest and smart - underneath Clary brings out a more sensitive, caring side. Just like Alec says - Jace thinks he needs to save the world.

Isabelle - I love Isabelle's way. She isn't out rightly a nice person but she isn't a mean person either - just really honest and a bit arrogant. My favourite scene with her is right at the end with Clary - where have a beautiful bonding moment.

Alec - Initially Alec comes across really rude and offish, especially towards Clary. I could see why Alec seemed put out by Clary. It's as if Jace doesn't need him anymore and is utterly absorbed by Clary. I could see his troubles and I think great things will still come for Alec.

Magnus Bane - I loved Magnus in The Infernal Devices. I don't feel he played a huge part in this story but I do think (and hope) to see more of him in the rest of the series.

Hodge - Hodge is such a misunderstood character, I felt so sorry for him. I don't think he really knows where his loyalties and heart lie. He may have started off on one side, but near the end he makes some decisions to help people, regardless of what is in store for him.

I cannot say I have one favourite character - I love them all!

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 5/5
The plot was captivating and gripping. Cassandra has a beautiful way with words and is an amazing writer. The pace is perfect and there is so much to build on in the books to come.

Cover talk: 5/5 I love the covers in this series! They are beautiful and original.

Final Thoughts:  I am really excited to continue this series

My Rating:

~ Favourite Quotes ~

"Those don't look like knives. How did you make them? Magic?" Alec looked horrified, as if she'd had asked him to put on a tutu and execute a perfect pirouette. "The funny thing about mundies," Jace said, to nobody in particular, "is how obsessed with magic they are for a bunch of people who don't even know what the word means."

~
"I've heard of dungeons," Jace said. "Also dragons. Although they're mostly extinct now." Simon looked disappointed. "You've never killed a dragon?" "He's probably never met a six-foot-tall hot elf-woman in a fur bikini either," Clary said irritably. " Lay off, Simon."~If there was one thing she was learning from all this, it was how easy it was to lose everything you had always thought you'd have forever.

Books in the series

Other books by this Author:

Previous Reviews

Author Bio:
Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years travelling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and a New York Times bestseller. Cassandra lives with her fiancé and their two cats in Massachusetts.

Author Links:   Goodreads l Website l Twitter

Love
Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/03/book-review-city-of-bones-tmi-1-by.html