chanzie

Tour & Book Review & Giveaway: A Boat Made of Bone by Nicole Grotepas

A Boat Made of Bone (The Chthonic Saga) - Nicole Grotepas

Publication Date: 13 January 2014
Genre: New Adult Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy
Source: AToMR Tours (In exchange for an honest Review)

Add on Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon l Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:
Kate Miller has been having recurring dreams about the same man . . . a dead man. Will Hawke, to be exact, a celebrity who died long before Kate had any reason to pay attention to celebrities.

Though the night-world she enjoys with Will is a siren song lulling her towards sleep, the intrigue of Kate's waking world goes up several notches when Ty Watts breezes into her life, a tall, dark stranger with looks that would set a thousand housewives free.

The problem: his smile hides a secret that could be dangerous.

Kate's dreams gnaw at the very idea of what is real. She must negotiate the knife-thin edge of reality vs. dreams, solve the mystery of her nightly rendezvous with Will, and either save him or lose herself forever in the seductively dangerous world he inhabits.

A Boat Made of Bone is a love story that spans worlds, generations, and reaches beyond death into the realm of fantasy.

*This book contains mature themes that may not be suitable for those under 18*

My Review:

This book has a really Interesting concept. I liked the originality and modern tone of the book. I was not sure what direction book was going in for the first half and at times I was a little bored. The last 100 pages were the most exciting and I was happy to see where Nicole took the story.

Characters: 3 /5
Nicole creates great, likable characters. I would have liked to know more about Ty as I felt there were quite a few unanswered questions about him and his past.

Kate - Kate is a sweet and witty character. I enjoyed her realistic take of situations, even if they come across a bit negative from her insecurities. I identified with her quite a bit when it came to the situations she dealt with in real life. I really liked the way Kate would find a way to comfort Will no matter how bad the situation or his appearance was and that she found she could love beyond the physical appearance.

Audra - Audra is your typical best friend in the book. She is funny, observant and I enjoyed her honesty. She was definitely my favourite character in the story.

Ty - Ty is smexy, charming and a likable character. I would have enjoyed reading more about his story.

Will - Will was the most interesting character in this book. I was quite surprised with the path that Nicole chose for him. His role in Kate's life made the book so interesting. I was not quite sure what the ending meant for Will, but it might lead to another book as there were quite a few loose ends for both Will and Kate (and Ty).

I was a bit torn between Ty and Will. Both are beautiful characters and I wanted Kate to save both of them from themselves.

Plot, Pace, Writing style: 3/5
The plot is unique and enjoyable even if the pace is a bit slow. I felt there were quite a few unanswered questions in the story: Will Kate go back and save the others, what was Ty hiding etc.? Maybe this will be answered if there is another book. I found one or two editing errors but they were very minor. At times Nicole drew my attention to things in the story that didn't reappear again, such as when Kate woke up in the room and found a paper which seemed to be some sort of contract.

Cover talk: 4/5
I really liked the cover. It is unique and grabs your attention. It ties in the story line beautifully.

Final Thoughts: An enjoyable and unique read.

My Rating:
My reason for 3 stars is the originality of the plot.

~ Favourite Quotes ~

She couldn't tear her gaze away from him. He was gorgeous. She didn't want to stare, but couldn't help herself. His black hair was styled to be messy, there was a bit of scruff accentuating his stone-carved jaw, and he was flashing a brilliant smile at her like it would solve the energy crisis. He could have been... in ... in an Old Spice commercial.

~

Overhead, the Milky Way was a white gash across the night sky - a sky so dusted with stars she felt like she may be one of them, fallen into darkness and lost in a desert.
~
"Do you believe in God?" She didn't know why she asked it. Maybe because of his reference to God's country. "I don't know. I guess that makes me agnostic," he said. "But when I look at this place, and when I look into your eyes, I believe."~The world was exactly as Kate's mom always said. Great-looking people often had no personality because the world fell to it's knees and worshipped at their beautiful feet, so they never had to struggle to achieve anything.  Struggle - that's what developed character. ~"If you're innocent, then I'm as virtuous as a nun," Ty retorted. "Get out while you can, Kate. i think our boy just confessed to being a woman disguised as a man," Malcolm joked as he slipped off his shoes and ducked into his tent. "Ooh, he's going to wake up with his face covered in black marker if he's not careful," Ty said, turning back to her. "I'm not too worried about it. I have proof you're not a woman," Kate said in a conspiratorial whisper exaggeratedly at him.

"Thank goodness," he said, feigning mock relief.

~~~

About the Author
Nicole wrote her first fantasy novel in 7th grade on her mother's old Brother typewriter. It was never finished but it strongly resembled a Dragonlance plot and she's forever wondered what happened to the manuscript and Tonathan--the handsome elven protagonist. After living in Nashville where she worked as an editor, she returned to the Utah desert where she was raised. Nicole now lives near the Wasatch mountains with her husband. She writes and raises her son and three cats full time.

Website | Facebook | Pinterest | Goodreads | Google +

Love

Chanzie

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/02/tour-book-review-giveaway-boat-made-of.html