chanzie

Series: Gryphon #1
Publisher: Anchor Group
Publication Date: 01 November 2011
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy, Humor
Source: AToMR Tours (In exchange for an honest Review)

Purchase: Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

All 18-year-old Celeste Garrett wants is to head off to college and make those fun, yet ill-advised, choices college kids are known for. And maybe to spend some time with the hot cameraman she just met. Instead, because of a pact her ancestors made in the 17th century with a mythical creature, she has to save the world.

While normal kids are slamming energy drinks and cramming for exams, Celeste will get her adrenaline rush fighting a fire breathing dragon. She wants to meet friends in the quad to exchange lecture notes, but first she must exchange blows with a shape shifting demon on the rooftop. Life isn’t always fair for a superhero, but at least she doesn't have to do it alone. With her brother and sister as sidekicks, they alternate between saving lives and getting on each others’ nerves. Together the trio encounters unspeakable odds, mystical forces and comes face-to-face with an image that will haunt them forever—their grandmother in a leopard print bikini.

My Review:
I have been looking forward to this book since I signed up for the tour.

This was quite a nice read. It had different paranormal angles and kept me intrigued. I actually liked that there was no direct heritage link when it came to the siblings inheriting their powers (The Gran or mom didn't know about it - it dates back a few centuries). What was happening was all new for all of them.

Characters: 3/5
Stacey creates great likable characters. There is room for development and depth, but it is good work for the first book. They have the potential to be something even more special and spectacular later on. The sibling bond between then is great! I could picture the banter and teasing easily, and laughed out loud a few times. I loved the humor between them. I enjoyed the story line with all three of them being important, and they balanced each other out perfectly.

Celeste - Celeste is easy to like and connect with. She is strong and the centre of the family but I don't understand how she mastered the empathy power so quickly (This applies to all the siblings powers actually). I would have liked to know a bit more about that - the development and control of the powers. I love Celeste's quirkiness and sense of humor and enjoyed her referencing to super heroes.

Gabe - Gabe is the typical older brother. By the end of the book he was my favourite character. I really just loved the roughness of his character. In my opinion he grew and developed the most out of all three in this book.

Kendall - Kendall is Celeste's younger sister and a complete lovable being of love. She is so sweet and fun. She is who she is and you cannot help loving her. I wish I had a younger sister like her.

Alec - (Celeste's love interest) I loved his sense of humor and gentlemanlike manners. He played a smaller role in this book, but I think he is going to be quite something in the next one.

Aliana - (Their spirit guide) Aliana is wise and angelic. I loved her graceful commitment to the siblings and enjoyed her character role in this book.

Plot, Pace, Writing style 3/5
Stacey has a great  writing style. The flow of the story is quick and easy. At some points I think the pace is a little bit too quick - it would have been nice to slow it down and expand at some parts. Stacey really brings a great sense of humor throughout the book. Her witty quotes had me giggling in so many parts. The chapters are nice and easy reading lengths. The ending was amazing! Wow - I really cannot wait to see what happens in the next book.

Cover talk: 5/5
I love it. The green eyes contrast to her red hair. The wings are beautiful. The symbols are magical. It is just awesome.

Final Thoughts: I am so glad I started this series and cannot wait to continue it.

~ Favourite Quotes ~

"We'll be fine. And if we do run into any animals, Gabe is with us. So we have nothing to worry about."

Gabe's expanded chest in full meat head bravado. "That's right ladies, the G-Man will protect you."

"Actually, I meant that any carnivorous animals would much rather eat you, in all your meatiness, than us." Gabe scowled. But I got a giggle out of Kendall.

~

Apparently being evil also means you have the IQ of a zipper.

~
 If this were a movie, we'd be mid-battle right now, I thought to myself as I watched the number tick by on the gas pump. Movies never showed the superhero stopping for gas. It went inspirational speech - or in my case paltry excuse for one - then epic battle. Never did they show the Batmobile at the Gas-N-Go.

~

Okay, little side note here. If a psychopathic killer asks if you want to see a trick, say no. That's the smart thing to do. I, on the other hand, responded, "Bring it."

Author Bio (From her blogger profile):

There is nothing worse than being put on the spot and asked to talk about yourself. For me it brings back that inevitable moment in a new school when the teacher would ask me to stand up, introduce myself and tell the class something about myself. I was always worried I would blurt out something stupid that I would get teased for. Something like, "My name's Stacey and I like pickles!" Then for the rest of the school year I'd be known as the Pickle Girl and let's be honest, no one wants that. So to avoid such a faux pas I will simply say that I love to write. It allows me to get my crazy out just enough that I can function as a normal member of society.

Author Links: Goodreads l Twitter l Blog

Visit my blog to enter the competition!!

Love

Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2014/01/tour-stop-book-reviewgiveaway-conduit.html