chanzie

Publication Date: 06 January 2012
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Source: Freebie on Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:
Roseline Enescue didn't ask to become an Immortal, to have all of the guests at her wedding slaughtered, or be forced into marriage with a man whose lust for blood would one day ignite the vampire legend. Willing to risk everything for a chance at a normal life, Roseline escapes to America. Terrified her husband Vladimir will find her, Roseline enrolls as a senior in Chicago's elite Rosewood Prep school. Mingling with humans is the last place he would look for her. But her transition into the human world isn't easy. Mortal men flock after her while cutthroat girls plot her demise. Yet Roseline remains relatively unfazed by the petty hysteria until she falters into the arms of Gabriel Marston, reluctant MVP quarterback, unwilling ladies man, and sensitive artist in hiding. Troubled by the bond that pulls her towards the mortal boy, Roseline tries to ignore him, but Gabriel is persistent. As their lives entwine, Roseline begins to realize that Gabriel is much more than he appears. His ability to toss a football the entire length of the field and grind concrete into dust pales in comparison to the glowing blue cross tattoo that mysteriously appears on his forearms. Despite the forbidden bond between them, Roseline can't help wondering what Gabriel is: He's not human. He's not Immortal. So just what is he?

My Review:
I started this book while I was waiting for an event to start. I took easily to the opening chapters. I chose the book because of the cover and paranormal blurb.

Characters 3.5/5
Amy's writing style is very easy and I was captivated within the first few pages. The characters need some development, but are rounded enough to appreciate them and fall in love with them in this book.

Roseline - I liked her instantly. I liked that she isn't the outcast but also doesn't want to be queen bee, even though she naturally draws attention. She is a well-balanced heroine, who is lovable and protective of her friends. I would enjoy finding out more about her past.

Sadie - I loved her spunk. She is the outcast who rebels against the popular but secretly wishes to be a part of it too. She is smart and witty. Without giving too much away, I was really happy that she opened her eyes and found something special at the end of the book - I really look forward to the development of this in the next book.

William - I adored him and his boyish charms. I liked his enthusiasm and easy nature. Part of me really wanted him to end up with Roseline, even though she belongs with Gabriel. I appreciated the fact that he is a great friend to Roseline, regardless of whether she is single or not.

Gabriel - I love this name! His instant infatuation/draw to Roseline is a bit weird in the beginning, but he definitely grows on you throughout the story. I felt bad for him and the life he's stuck with. He is trapped by parental expectations and business arrangements, which include a girlfriend every guy wants and he cannot get away from. We are still left with many questions about the changes we see in Gabriel throughout this story, but in the sneak peek to book 2, it looks like a lot of things should be cleared up.

Vladimer & Lucien - Vladimer is the villain in the story, and an exceptionally evil one. He is mean, cruel and evil to the core. Lucien is Vlad's brother and even more evil and sadistic. The roles they play aren't too big until the end. I don't like Vladimer or Lucien, but I guess that is the point.

Nicolae - his arrival unsettles Rosaline intensely. He is strange and has quite a few secrets. He plays more of a background role until the last 3rd of the book, but he will play a bigger, more important role in the books to come.

Fane - Fane is Roseline's best friend and lover from long ago. I liked his character and was touched by how much he truly loves Roseline. I do hope to see him in the future books.

Roseline & Sadie - I enjoyed this friendship. They accept each other and their faults completely. I look forward to the growth of this friendship

Roseline & Gabriel - This is a sweet romance. It's nicely paced with one or two steamy moments.

Plot, Writing style & Cover 4/5
Amy has an easy writing style. The only critique I have here is the grammar/editing errors I picked up a few times along the way. The story line was unique and I really enjoyed the twists she brought into the story. The plot has a great pace and the last 20% of the book was really good! There are a few loose ends in the story but nothing that takes away from the plot. The characters are developed, and I think Amy has a lot of potential to work within the next book. Even though I am left with a few questions and a small cliff hanger  I am sure these will be covered in the sequel.

Forbidden lay a good foundation for this series.

This series has an awesome cover. I saw this girl on 2 other covers though? This does have me raising a few questions, but ultimately I loved the cover: 5/5

Favourite Quotes
Sadie has touched a nerve within her and already Roseline finds her poorly constructed defenses weakening. Sadie is fun, bubbly and her enthusiasm drawn Roseline out of a depressed funk.
~
She filled a small notebook with slang terms that she picked up on and would hopefully remember to use. Having a thick accent is bad enough, but speaking like a grandparent is unforgivable.
~
Roseline drapes her arm over Sadie's shoulder. "According to your own advice, the in-crowd is just a bunch of miserable drug addicts, alcoholics and sluts. You really wannabe like them?""Well not that you mention it..." Sadie trails off, grinning mischievously. Roseline laughs. "You are shameless." "And Proud of it." Sadie crows, not looking the least bit contrite. "So what do you say?"
~
Sure I might look like I am, but it is just a mask I wear to get through the day. Under the designer clothes, expensive house and flashy car, I'm just a guy that wants to be normal.
~
The harder she fights the fall, the faster she tumbles out of reason and into love's madness.

Love
Chanzie
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/11/forbidden-arotas-1-by-amy-miles.html