chanzie

Publication Date: 01 January 2011
Genre: Fantasy

A little bit about Author
Published 5 Books so far
Has a Bachelor's degree in International relations & a Masters degree in Linguistics
Website/Blog: http://harmonylit.wordpress.com/

Literary Agent : Patchwork Press

Why did I choose this book/Source?:
I chose this book off NetGalley as part of the book review promotion program. I love the cover and the write up had me intrigued.

What is the book about:

The book starts off with Kaitlyn snowboarding, trying to escape an avalanche. She wakes up in a facility and realizes she is being held as a test experiment. After a failed escape attempt, she makes enemies with a guy named Shawn. As she realizes that she is outnumbered and sees a hatred in Shawn's eyes that she does not understand, Micah comes to her rescue. She feels an instant attraction, but is not sure if he is friend or foe.

After a few more days of experiments, Kaitlyn is taken to meet Cato,her Godfather, where she is introduced to a life of magic, and becomes part of an organisation which is hell-bent on saving Earth.

With the tension between her and Shawn growing, and Micah crossing some lines, Kaitlyn is filled with so many mixed emotions of love and deceit. She must learn to control her powers which are affected by her emotions.

Just as her new-found life holds promises of purpose, romance, and friendship, the organisation divides and a rogue member holds Kaitlyn hostage. Now one of the most terrifying men the human race has to offer stands between herself and Earth's survival.

My Review:

The book has a nice pace and a decent plot to keep you hooked. I loved Kaitlyn's intensity, her constant need to be in control and to figure out the next step, as well as her survival instincts. As strong as she is, her quick dependency habits put me off a bit, but her feisty quick-witted repartee kept me rooting for her, even when her hot-headedness had me asking why?

I truly did not like Shawn - he had me cringing, and with every action he took my dislike increased. Even though I tried to understand his pain, his arrogance obliterated all empathy I felt.

Micah, Micah, Micah... what a complicated person. Just when you think he is everything Kaitlyn needs, he crosses a line and has Kaitlyn all confused. From the readers perspective, I could see Micah's struggle between training Kaitlyn and wanting to give in to her every need - he was definitely my favourite character in the book.

Terra has a nice writing style and I think she will grow as a writer in the next few books that follow on in the series. She can create build-up and intensity on a good level. The book did not keep me utterly absorbed, and I found the book a bit short - it left me unsure as to whether I was going to continue reading the series, but I have to say that the cliff hanger ending plus the sneak peak had me going 'oh my gosh, what happens next?' Definitely a reasonable read.

Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-review-water-akasha-1-by-terra.html