chanzie

Publisher: Patchwork Press
Publication Date: 2012
Genre: Paranormal

A little bit about Author
Is a Herbalist and and a dog lover
Is studying Neuropathy
Lives in Australia

Why did I choose this book/Source?:
I chose it from an Author Promotions website I belong too (NetGalley). A copy was supplied in return for an honest review. I was drawn to the book because its a paranormal novel and I liked the cover.

What is the book about:
When Lila unwillingly moves to the country town of Shade, she is completely unaware of the life-altering events that lie in wait for her. Shade has a curfew and has always been surrounded by myths. A central feature of the town is its famous statue of Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, whose spirit is said to protect the innocent.

Lila falls in with a group of intriguing teenagers with luminescent eyes and soon she is drawn into the shadowlands between fantasy and reality, where destiny collides.

A mysterious local girl, Cresida, warns her to stay away, but Lila is drawn to the group like a moth to a flame.

Cresida knows their fatal secret and she is honour-bound to protect those who are endangered. But she underestimates Lila’s passion for the mysterious and charismatic clan of youths. Lila begins to feel a call she cannot ignore and her heart is filled with vulnerable desires that begin to turn the underworld upside down, for both hunter and hunted, as she learns they have been waiting for her…

Inspired by the legend of the mythical femme fatale, Wolf Sirens is an intimate tale of unrequited and forbidden love in the underworld, a masterpiece of romance fantasy

My Review:
I am a bit conflicted about this book. Tina is a great writer, the blurb sounded so intriguing, yet I found some parts were quite predictable.

The Characters: 3/5
Lila - seems overly suspicious and insecure. This is the first book I've read where the protagonist isn't pining for her best friend when she is moved to a new town, but had a fall out because she started dating her crush. Lila's insecurities make her appear weak and annoying. She is not your typical 'poor me' loner, but also not a character you attach to easily either. I found Lila's mom to be an uncaring selfish parent who clearly could not see when her daughter needed her. I can see she grows through out the book, yet I found I was rooting more for Cresida than for Lila.

Sam - she is one of those characters that you love to hate and your feelings about her change throughout the book. In the beginning you stereotype her, and feel disillusioned, then journey through liking, pitying and finally disliking her character!

Giny, Lily, Bianca - Of these three, I thought Giny was a sweetheart and very likable. Lily I couldn't stand, as she was your typical non-accepting character in the group towards Lila. Bianca played a very low-key part in this story but I think her character will be developed in the next book.

Reid & Sky - this was the one part of the story I felt was 100% predictable and I cannot say too much without spoiling it. I liked Reid even though he was being manipulated. Sky is a nice character - it was just a little bit too much/OTT on the pining side, but I was very sad too about the way it ended for Sky.

Cresida - This was my favourite character in the book. I would have liked to see her story more as the main character's POV than Lila's. Cresida is stuck between a rock and a hard place with what happened to her. I am looking forward to hopefully reading more about her in the next book.

Plot 2/5
The romances are a bit predictable, as is the paranormal storyline. I hope in the next book it has a few major twists like this ending (which is the reason I need to read the next book). My heart actually broke as I read the last few pages.

Writing style: 3/5
I enjoyed Tina's writing style. It was easy to follow and flowed smoothly.

Cover: 4/5
I liked the cover and think it fit perfectly with the story. I loved the font and the scene together, which made it catchy. That probably persuaded me more to read this book than the description.

Pace: 5/5
The pace was perfect. Maybe one of 2 scenes where Lila whined a page or two too long, but overall very good.

All is all this was a reasonable read and the ending has me wanting to see what happens in the next book.
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/09/book-review-forbidden-discover-legend.html