chanzie

Lived on France, England & Switzerland before the age of 10

Author of The Mortal Instruments
Previously worked at Entertainment magazines
website:

Why did I choose this book/Source?:
I chose this book as it was voted book of the month to read on a Goodreads group I belong too, and since it has also been on my TBR list for a while, I was happy to squeeze it into my schedule.

What is the book about?:

In a time when the Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

My Review:
Wow! This book did not disappoint me in the least. I was wondering why I waited so long to read it in the first place. This book had me hooked from the first pages of the prologue.

Characters: 5/5

All the characters are well developed and the story has wonderful main and side characters.
They are unique and lovable, you cannot help falling in love with most of them.

Tessa - Tessa isn't an overly strong character in this book but she is not weak either - Maybe more of the silent strong heroine. She is very observant and I like the way she handles Will.

Will - Will comes across as a happy fun-loving person who loves to show off his skills, and I love his sense of humor. He has this soft caring side but also likes to put up a front that makes him look like a jerk. He takes risks all the time and has no fear as he feels he has nothing to lose. Will is naughty and complicated. Sometimes you want to shake some sense into him and break down his walls, but at the same time you want to understand him even more.

Jem - Jem is soft, intriguing and swoon-worthy,  yet bold and strong. He makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. He has a strong friendship with Will  and his affection for his friend is admirable. He is very wise for his age and you cannot help but love and admire him.

Jessamine -  Jessamine comes across as a closed off, cold snob, and believes Tessa doesn't have an ability and 'is a little sneak who knows that if we believe she is a Downworlder, we'll have to treat her well because of the Accords.' I ended up feeling a bit sorry for her even though her character came across as unkind and callous for most of the story.

Plot, writing style & Cover: 5/5
The plot is brilliant, it keeps you intrigued and captivated. I didn't get bored or tired of reading through out the book, in fact Clare probably robbed me of some sleep due to my inability to put down the book. Clare's writing style is absolutely beautiful, her words flow so easily and she captures your attention from the very first page. The pace of the story was perfect. Clare is truly a first class writer.
I loved the cover. It set the tone just right and suited the story perfectly.

This book is fascinating and exhilarating. It draws you in from the very first page.
Source: http://meanwhoyouare.blogspot.com/2013/09/clockwork-angel-infernal-devices-1-by.html